Thursday, June 16, 2011

Yep...It Is June


Soo....it is June...
Don't ask me what has happened to the last few months because it really is just all kind of a blur, but I DO know there were lots of trains and cars and funny beds. April and May consisted mostly of travel and counselor training in several places with lots of people. My prayer letter has more details about THAT! They were a good couple of months. Just busy and with lots of language study.

Ahh...language...now THERE'S a fun topic! In all reality, I have (I'm told) made good strides in the last couple of months, thanks to switching teachers and mixing it up a little. But seriously...GAH! I feel like I'm constantly climbing up-hill, and the top is rarely in sight. When I DO somehow manage to see the top, I realize how far away I am! Most of the time I wonder if I'm even climbing UP at all, or just going around in circles. I have, however, starting reading my first novel in Romanian, and let me tell you...it is PAINFUL. I have pages full of words that I've had to look up. And I'm only in chapter two. Yeah, maybe by the time I leave, I'll hit chapter four...We can hope! :)

Right now, however, language has taken a backseat to camp planning. Specifically right now, we're getting ready for a VBS/day camp the week of June 27th. It has been a lot of work, and a lot of quick planning, BUT with ten days to go, we have a location, teachers, helpers, crafts, skits and games mostly planned! Considering where we were a couple weeks ago...that's pretty amazing! :) It has been neat to see God answer many, many prayers as HE has pulled things together in ways better than we ever could. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of what He has in store for that week. Pray with us! The kids are little (ages 4-7) but I really DO believe that they can understand the Gospel and am praying that they make decisions that will change the rest of their lives. That is what makes all the craziness worth it.

One of my favorite things in preparing for VBS was getting to write five "Superhero" scripts! I had forgotten how much I enjoy writing! It was a BLAST to come up with fun, but concrete ways to show our themes and teach the kids truth from God's Word. It took quite a bit of work and a lot of time, but I THINK it is done, and I'm thankful for the chance to do something I enjoy so much!

And this is, of course, only the beginning! We do have another five weeks/six programs in July and August that we're planning, preparing for, and praying about. (Hey look! Alliteration! I must be my father's daughter!) I have to say...our team really ROCKS! I love working with this group of people and seeing God use all our gifts individually and together. More importantly, though, we serve a great God Who is strong and worthy of our trust. So I have no doubt that everything that must get done WILL get done.

The most pressing need right now is for people. We need counselors (especially guys) and worship leaders, and it isn't easy for people to give up their time and money (and vacation days, sometimes!) to be a counselor. Please pray that God would give them the desire to be there, show them that it is worth the cost, and then bless them as they see the ways He uses them.

So that's what is currently on my plate. Additionally, I've been bitten by the homesick bug again. I never know the rhyme or reason, but I've been here for almost a year and a half and I am really ready for family, friends, home, hugs, church, my car, my dog, Chipotle, Target...you get the idea. All this is normal, I know. It comes and goes in phases. The summer will come and go quickly, and I'll love it and be totally absorbed in life here. And that'll be good. I just need to make it to that point! :)

"Your emotions are not the best indicator of your ability to deal with what is on your plate; ever-present grace is." Paul Tripp
<---------My reminder to myself...and maybe you, too! :)

No comments: