Saturday, March 26, 2011

Thanks, God

I very often have "is this really my life???" moments when I stop to think about where I am, what I'm doing, who I am. Is this really me? Am I really here? Am I really doing this? God has a sense of humor for sure! But I'm thankful.


I had several of those moments recently when I had the chance to spend a week in Ukraine. Our camp team took a trip to a town just across the border to do a Saturday conference with teens who had been in a camp led by our colleagues last summer. We're ALL planning on going back this summer, so it was good meet the teenagers, encourage them in the decisions they made last summer, and brainstorm a little with the leaders about THIS summer.

Sunday, we split into several teams and spent time in different churches sharing testimonies, preaching (not me, of course!) and fellowshipping together. On the way to our first church, as I sat in a car with Andrew and Anca, I couldn't help but wonder how a shy, scared girl from the middle of Ohio ends up in a car in Ukraine in the middle of the woods, stuck in the snow, with a driver we'd never met before...and all I could do was smile and say "thanks, God!" It was a long, exhausting day, but it was great.

Monday, my team headed back to Bucharest, but they dropped me off at at teeny, tiny airport. Sitting next to a cat and looking at my hand written ticket, I couldn't help smiling again. If you'd told a year ago that I'd be alone at an airport, waiting to get on a flight with eight other people where you load your luggage onto the plane by putting it in a pick-up truck at the door, I would have laughed at you. But there I was...laughing and enjoying the adventure. Thanks, God.

I arrived in Kiev, Ukraine (with the eight other people on my flight, and my bag, but without the cat) and was greeted by ABWE teammates David and Penny Winget. We drove six hours from there to Kharkov, a city in Northern Ukraine where they have lived and ministered for thirteen years. I really enjoyed their company and it was great to spend time with them in their home. Thanks, God.


Tuesday was March 8th, which may not mean much to YOU, but it IS International Women's Day. (Why do we think we have to come up with something "new" in the States? Why can't we just use the metric system and celebrate international holidays??? Anyway....) This is a HUGE deal in Ukraine. It is a day off work and everyone celebrates WOMEN!! Niiiiiice! :) The Winget's church holds a special banquet for ladies every year, and this year they asked me to speak. It was a beautiful event, with 35 ladies (more than in past years!) and it was wonderful to get to be a part of it. I was asked to talk about the tongue and the power of words, but it was especially a privlege to get to share the Gospel. It was one of those time when I had goosebumps as I shared what I KNOW to be truth! We are sinners, which breaks our relationship with God, but He made a way to restore that relationship through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ. What a POWERFUL message we have been given!! It was a good day. Thanks, God.


I spent the next several days with the Wingets seeing their ministries, sight-seeing a little and just enjoying their company. And, because my life really IS an adventure, my time in Ukraine also included a trip to the hospital. Sigh.

I had fallen on ice the first day we arrived in Ukraine (I believe this is now called "Pulling a Kristie"), and even though it hurt quite a lot I tried to ignore it. Unfortunately, it got worse instead of better, and by Thursday of the next week (almost a week later), it looked bad, felt bad, and was starting to get numb and tingly.
After talking with a couple of ABWE nurses, it was decided that I needed to get an x-ray right away. FANTASTIC. It was quite an adventure since I don't speak Russian (shocker, I know, but I'm sure if you'd given me another week....RIGHT!), and they tried to x-ray my collar bone instead of my arm. HOWEVER, eventually we found a very kind doctor who assured me my arm wasn't broken, but that I'd messed up some nerves or something. He gave me some awesome Ukrainian pain pills (who knows!) some cream stuff, and instructed me to wear a sling for the next five days. The sling was off before I even left the hospital (like you really thought I was actually going to DO that???), but I did try to give my arm a little more of a break, and now, three weeks later, I'm pleased to say the bruising is fading, and I can sleep through the night again! Both are good things. Thanks, God. Ooooh the adventures. I think my new goal is to collect x-rays from around the world. I already have Romania and Ukraine...where should I injure myself next??? (Kidding, Mom...kidding...)

So this is really my life? REALLY, it IS!! I hope I never lose my amazement, not just at God's ABILITY to use a weak, foolish person (me), but His DESIRE to do so, too (I Cor. 1:26-2:5). The fun and adventure along the way...that's just a bonus! :) THANKS, God.

1 comment:

Dennis Shimer said...

See, now this is just one more example of how adventurous you have become. Here in the states all you ever managed to injure was your ankle (again and again). That shy young girl we watched grow up would never have branched out so boldly to new appendages. Well in any case glad it's getting better, though you may want to limit your experimentation to more subtle forms of entertainment.