Monday, July 4, 2011

Super Superhero Week


And just like that, the VBS whirlwind has come and gone! It has hard to believe after all the planning, purchasing, preparing, and praying it is OVER! It was a fun week. I know WE learned a lot and I think the kids did, too.

One of the major issues going into the week was what the weather would do. Since we were holding VBS at the Botanical Gardens, rain wasn't really an option. We learned not to trust weather.com (seriously, it was exactly OPPOSITE of what they said almost every day!), but even though we had at least some rain three out of the five days, God gave us good trees, a few tents, and (for one especially rainy day), access to the church so we wouldn't all get sick and die. (That might be a slight exaggeration.)

Our group of kids wasn't huge (between 12-19 everyday), but it was great to see them learn and have fun doing it. They're such little sponges at that age! On the last day, as the Gospel was presented, it was so cool to see them listening and learning...and repeating things they learned earlier in the week. Please pray that God's Word will continue to take root in these little hearts. They're so small (4-7 years old), but I believe (WE believe!) that they really can understand and choose to follow Christ!

Other highlights:


*The totally awesome teens from the church that gave their week to help us! They were so sweet and patient with the kids, and the children loved them! Some of them are already involved in children's ministry at the church, but I'm praying that others will desire to be, too. They were great to work with and we really couldn't have done it without them.

*I was thankful again this week for the team that God has put my on and their willingness to serve...and their flexibility. With all the weather issues and constant changes, it could have been a tense situation. But it wasn't. Oh, and also...they're all super talented. I mean seriously. Some of THE most talented people I know. Love them.

*Seeing the kids run around in capes with smiles on their faces. How cute is that?!?


*The superheroes! They were HILARIOUS and totally rocked. I wrote the scripts but they made them work and were fantastic. I told them it was like seeing my imaginary friends come to life. The kids loved them, and (I think!) it helped them learn.

*Getting to speak more Romanian, having actual conversations, and not caring if every word wasn't perfect. I also had my first "I was speaking Romanian and didn't realize it!" moment! That was weird, but cool!

As much as I DO love organizing and keeping things going, I was reminded again this week how much I miss getting to actually be with the kids. I miss playing with them and talking with them and taking care of them. But that isn't my role here. There are other people who can and should do that. This is our goal: not to do it all ourselves, but to set other people up to succeed. And it is great to see that happen.

So those are some of the highlights. It was a good week. There are things I learned, things WE learned, and I know that we'll make changes in the future. But God was very gracious and faithful and answered our prayers.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord! Thank you for the update and all the fun pictures! To God be the glory.